For all those who aren’t aware, I’m currently on my second prac placement at Northern Beaches Christian School (NBCS). Here’s the shortlist (believe it or not) of some of the things that I’ve been up to:
- Making fossils with seashells and challenged to reconstruct Ned Kelly’s skeleton with Year 9;
- Combining the Incas with Forces and open plan learning in Year 8 – I’m especially looking forward to later on when they get to make a trebuchet or Roman ballista!
- Bringing Usain Bolt and a cheetah into the physics classroom with Year 10 (ah, not literally!) to learn about speed.
- I also filmed my speedometer on my journey to school to give the students some real-world distance, speed and time data to interpret and turned it into a Google Maps challenge that Dan Meyer would be proud of;
- Creating custard powder bombs to understand the role of surface area in the rate of chemical reactions with Year 11 Chemistry.
I’m loving the challenge and having a great time with my classes, although those days of four learning sessions are a killer at times! I feel very at home here and am loving the chance to incorporate more authentic learning in my classroom.